Thursday, December 9, 2010

Final blog

"So long as this object which he calls his life or soul remains unharmed, the man is well; if it is injured, he suffers; if it is destroyed, he dies. Or, to put it otherwise, when a man is ill or dies, the fact is explained by saying that the material object called his life or soul whether it be in his body or out of it, has either sustained injury or been destroyed." (pg. 801, The Golden Bough)

        I admit I haven't blogged as much as I should have, but I am still new to the whole thing so keeping on top of it has been somewhat of a chore. Anyway as I was driving back from Missoula today I was thinking about what I could blog on before midnight to top off this thing. Since my business in Missoula had to do with my nose, which came on the same night as my black eye I guess I should tell that mythological tale. It is kinda along the lines of David and Goliath, minus all the religious hullabaloo. Unfortunately for me, in this story I am Goliath and I got my nose broken and a black eye from a kid about 5 inches shorter than me. Quite embarrassing to tell in front of a class of people my age. So this mythological story of mine has been going on for the past two months since my birthday.
    On the night of my birthday I was given a bottle of Whiskey by my roommate, which I consumed in about 4 hours and lost all track of time and space. In my daze my friends and I ended up at a friends house for a party. Sometime later into the haziness I had brought upon myself I was confronted by another person and called a pussy. I didn't take kindly to this and dragged him outside. At one point I had forgotten we were going to fight when my roommate egged me on and I hit him, which was a mistake because I was having trouble standing while all this was happening. Anyway, I say it was like David and Goliath because his freinds were his army and my roommates and friends were my army, I was bigger than him and I lost. Unfortunately in this story I am also the perpetrator and the bad guy. Those are all the connections I can draw. So now the story continues, with me trying to get my nose fixed. As of now I am one week out from surgery. But in this time I have seen about four doctors and traveled to Missoula and back about as many times. And what has this mythological quest taught me? Dont be a drunk asshole and provoke unwarranted fights with kids who are shorter (or taller, or skinnier, and since I'm on the subject just everyone in general) and more sober than myself.
          The quote from the Golden Bough at the top just seemed appropriate to this story. Apparently something close to me that I consider my soul was harmed and so I was injured that night on my birthday. Lucky me.

No comments:

Post a Comment